Friday, November 7, 2008

Three Weeks Away

We have returned from our colossal, east coast trip-of-a-lifetime. It will take me awhile to process the changes I saw—in my parents, my siblings, our little godson, and my former city. I never thought this before, but I now know there are times when you should not go home again. This trip was a doozy.

Here's what I heard:

“It’s people like YOU who are the reason Obama won’t win.” (Because I’m one of those elistists, you know.)

“We have to talk to the stone-cold racists or he’ll never win Virginia.”

“Some people at church think he’s the anti-Christ. They hope he is, because he’ll bring on the End of Days.”

“How can anybody vote for that guy???” (Referring to McCain, with all manner of hand waving to accompany.)

But it wasn’t all politics. I also heard:

“I’m proud of you.”

“I love you.”

“You’re my best friend.”

I managed to stay with my in-laws and survive it. There was absolutely no mention of the election with the hateful email-sender. I ignored him as much as I could, and realized what a sad man he is.

We saw gobs of friends and family. We even attended an Obama rally, with 20,000 people of all races and ages. What a thrill! I screamed when I saw him like he was a rock star. But he was so much more; I didn’t scream when he was finished—I was too full of emotion and hope to do anything but smile.

We ate too much and exercised too little. We drove 2500 miles up and down the east coast, and paid as little as $1.95 per gallon for gas. We slept in six different houses and three motel rooms. We saw the autumn leaves change color in a wave from upstate New York to North Carolina; and we buried our toes in warm beach sand. We celebrated a new future for our country with some of our oldest and dearest friends, whom we miss so much.

And we are very, very happy to be home.

7 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Welcome back!

Nora said...

Welcome back! It sounds like you visited all my old haunts too. I circulated between PA and NC (including DC are) before moving to Seattle.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Welcome home :)

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

My heart is full, just reading about it.

Welcome back.

Becky Brown said...

Oh ... travel is good for the soul, as are old friends and family. The best is coming home again. Welcome back.

And thank you for your kind words on my blog. I really appreciate them! And thanks for introducing yourself - I'll be back. You don't even have to finish unpacking ... it's ok. :)

Claire B. said...

Thanks, all. You are great for coming back to me and my blog.

And Cha Cha, don't worry--I haven't finished unpacking yet! How did you know?

Sheila @ Dr Cason.org said...

What a wonderful description. It was like I was there. Sort of.